The purpose of this course is to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge and skill to work independently in providing beauty therapy treatments in a variety of contexts and or to progress to further and or higher education and training.
The CIDESCO Beauty Therapy Diploma offered at North Connaught College, Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo is a two year programme that is offered on a full time basis and has been designed to be sufficiently flexible to enable the learner to take up a position on the Beauty Therapy Course. This highly regarded course ensures that graduates are among the elite of their profession. The course is compiled under three main qualifications; ITEC Diploma, CIBTAC Diploma & CIDESCO Beauty Therapy Diploma. Students will study the ITEC Beauty Therapy Diploma for the first year then move onto the CIBTAC Body Therapy Diploma and the CIDESCO Beauty Diploma for the second year.
Students will gain vast practical experience in the areas of:
- Manicure & Pedicure
- Facial treatments skin care and massage
- Eyelash and eyebrow tinting and shaping
- Electrical facial treatments
- Make Up Application
- Anatomy and Physiology.
- Swedish Body Massage
- Figure Analysis
- Electrical Body Treatments (Vacuum Suction, Galvanic, Faradic E.M.S, G5 Massage, InfraRed lamp and audio sonic massage)
- Anatomy and Physiology.
Other areas of study include:
- Customer Service
- Professional Conduct & Business Awareness.
Students will also participate in our commercial salon ‘RENEW’ once they have reached a certain level of competency with their practical skills and will provide treatments to paying clients with the supervision of our Tutors.
Once learners have achieved ITEC Level 4 in Beauty Specialist including Facial Electricals they can progress onto Year 2 ITEC Level 6 Diploma in IPL and Laser & ITEC Level 5 Certificate in Microdermabrasion.
This course will leave you highly employable with the world as your oyster as a therapist. You will also be able to work internationally, as CIDESCO is recognized in over 40 countries over five continents, providing you with a global passport to a lifetime career in Beauty.
Many job options are possible with these qualifications: Freelance Makeup artist , Salon/Spa Manager, Self-employed Beauty Therapist ,Skin Care Specialist, Cruiser Liner Therapist, Medical/Clinical Aesthetician, Wax/Hair Removal Specialist, IPL and Laser clinic technician, Advanced skin care salons, Beauty Magazine Writer, Brand Trainer, Beauty Educator, Beauty company sales representative and many more.
Education: No formal education or qualifications are required although applicants may have participated in primary and secondary education. Applicants will be expected to demonstrate a standard of knowledge, skill and competence equivalent to NFQ Level 4 when accessing this programme.
Aptitude: Applicants must have a motivation to learn, an interest in the subject and the ability to acquire the knowledge, skills and competencies set out in the course.
Previous Experience: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a broad range of knowledge, skills and competencies relevant to the course and be able to exercise initiative and independence when carrying out course activities.
The minimum age for entry to this qualification is 17 years.
An interview with a CIDESCO lecturer will be undertaken prior to entry onto the course.
In order to proceed to Year 2 of the course a learner must have passed all exams in Year 1.
|Beauty Specialist Diploma-Skin Care, Eye Treatments and Make-Up, Manicure, Pedicure and Waxing.
|Body, Massage, Figure Analysis and Body Electrics.
|Anatomy and Physiology
|Professional Conduct & Business Awareness.
On completion of this course learners will have the skills, knowledge and confidence to progress to Year 2, to gain employment in the beauty industry and to further their education and training in the Beauty Industry or to progress to level 7.
Below is a more detailed description of each of the Components.
Aesthetics – ITEC Beauty Specialist Diploma
- Manicure (regular painting techniques, French polish, hand massage and warm oil / paraffin wax nourishing treatments)
- Facial treatments and skin care (cleansing, exfoliation, & mask application)
- Pedicure (regular painting techniques, French polish, foot scrub and foot massage)
- Facial massage , steaming and extraction and mechanical brush cleansing.
- Waxing (hot wax and strip methods)
- Eyelash and eyebrow tinting and shaping
- Professional make-up from day and evening, through to bridal looks
- Electrical facial treatments (Micro-current – non-surgical lift, Vacuum Suction, Galvanic – deep cleansing and Facial Faradic E.M.S, Direct High Frequency and Viennese Massage.)
Body Therapy – CIBTAC Body Therapy Diploma
- Swedish Body Massage- together with Anatomy and Physiology this course enables learners to perform a safe and effective Swedish massage.
- Figure Analysis- learners will study and assess client’s posture, figure, muscle tone and skin.
- Electrical Body Treatments including Vacuum Suction, Galvanic, Faradic E.M.S, G5 Massage, InfraRed lamp and Audio sonic massage. The learners will learn how to use several electrotherapy machines which have therapeutic effects on the body including muscle toning ,fluid reduction, anti -ageing, slimming, and relaxation.
Customer Service (QQI)
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide effective customer service within a work, social or voluntary environment, operating independently while under general supervision.
Anatomy and Physiology – ITEC/CIBTAC/CIDESCO
The course syllabus includes:
Cells and tissues, Skeletal system, Muscular system, Vascular system, Lymphatic system, Digestive system, Respiratory system, Endocrine system, Neurological system, and Special Senses. This course is a pre-requisite to training in all additional modules.
Professional Conduct and Business Awareness – ITEC
This certificate is a pre-requisite to training in all ITEC additional modules. It consists of the following modules:
- Principles of ethical practice
- Requirements for health, safety and hygiene
- The principles of finance and costing
- The principles of retail
- The effective sales and marketing techniques
Learning Support and Resources:
The following learner supports, and resources will be available to the learner participating in this course where appropriate:
- Literacy support
- Adult and Career Guidance
- Access to a fully functioning computer with appropriate software applications
- Programme specific equipment and facilities
- Internet Access
- Academic support
- Reasonable accommodations
- Advocacy support